05 December 2010

Bye bye, Chase

Well, I've been doing some research into checking account fees, and man, they are everywhere! I wish I could do an all-online account (Capital One has 1.01% APY on their checking accounts!) but without the luxury of direct deposit, I just can't make it happen. So I had to find a brick-and-mortar bank with ATMs I could shove my paycheck into every two weeks.

I must be very lazy, because my criteria for looking into brick-and-mortar banks was those with locations near my workplace. Chase has a location across the street, but their fees are offending me, so I looked into my other options. These included Citibank, US Bank, and Bank of America. In the end, I decided on BoA's e-banking checking account, which doesn't levy a fee if you make deposits and withdrawals at an ATM and elect to receive electronic statements. They also allow you to visit a teller for free when you need a service the ATM cannot provide (coin deposits/withdrawals, cashier's checks).

I am pleased with my decision. I can still walk down the block to deposit my paycheck the day I receive it. I don't have to make a certain number of debit card purchases or keep a minimum account balance. My oldest credit card account is with BoA (10 years) and I've never had a problem with their customer service.

I have no misgivings about leaving Chase. In fact, I'm thinking of closing my credit card with them, too. But that's because I just applied for a Discover More Card, which offers $100 cash back if you spend $500 in the first three months. Easily done, and free money. Now, my struggle with which rewards cards to keep is fodder for another post!

No comments:

Post a Comment