24 August 2010

The wake-up call

After spending my life sleepwalking through my finances, the eve of my 30th birthday brought a rather rude awakening. My story is not unique; like it has for countless others, this milestone birthday prompted some intense self-reflection. I took stock of my life, my goals, my career, my friends and family, my treatment of others, my outlook, and my place in the world. It's something we all do, every day, but on this occasion I did it with more focus and clarity than normal.

It's hard to believe, but this was the first time I had ever seriously considered life after my career (and my career isn't all that glamorous, honestly). I had just spent so much of my time and energy moving toward this particular moment that I hadn't really bothered with what came next. But I really enjoyed envisioning myself after 60. There will be lots of travel. There may even be an RV (I love camping). There will be lots of cooking with family and friends, whether grilling seafood at the beach with a glass of wine or tucking into French Onion Soup at a ski lodge in Canada. Retirement is something to look forward to, plan for, and get excited about. I'm not saying that the next 30 years won't be FULL of amazing experiences, life-altering mistakes, love, and laughter, but I've always known and trusted that. Now I realize there is even more to look forward to than I had previously considered. 

And then, I woke up. "Oh crap, I'm gonna need a retirement account to fund this, aren't I?"

My online search for information about retirement plans led me to so many wonderful and insightful pieces of financial advice, mostly written by bloggers simply sharing their personal experiences. I began to relish each new tip and suggestion, and I loved seeing the budgets of others laid out before me. Plus, I finally knew the difference between a 401k and an IRA (and a Roth IRA, nonetheless).

What these bloggers showed me was how to start moving toward the future, rather than treading financial water. Debt has to go. Money I am throwing at my debt should be getting thrown at my retirement. Priorities have to shift. I feel like my eyes have finally been opened; knowledge is such a powerful tool.

I'm not proud that it took me this long to get myself together. I currently have a negative net worth, comprised of student loans and credit card debt. But I'm sure this story has a happy ending. I'm making a plan and setting goals. Tomorrow, we'll get down to brass tacks and examine the numbers. Thus begins my journey to fiscal fitness. It will be slow going, but I'll get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment