31 August 2010

Adios, cable TV

In my endless pursuit to cut costs and funnel my money towards my debt, I decided to wave goodbye to cable this weekend. I am back to broadcast channels, but still have wireless internet in the house (there are some things I just won't live without).

According to the customer service rep I spoke with, my bill will go from $96.32 per month to $50.51 per month, a savings of $45.81 each month. Woo hoo! This may not sound like much to some, but over the course of a year, this adds up to be just shy of $550. I decided to set up an automatic transfer of $45.81 into my Ally e-fund savings account each month. I will still try to add more when I can, but I am pleased to see this money being put to good use.

I will miss a few things from cable programming, though. Property Virgins on HGTV, Top Gear and The Inbetweeners on BBC America, The Closer on TNT, and Futurama on Comedy Central. Thus far, I have yet to find online viewing solutions for these programs. I'll just have to wait and rent them from Netflix once they're released to DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment